Sunday, June 19, 2011

More memories...

I have a memory to share about dad on Father's day. I was thinking about this while I was running the other day.

He use to follow me in the car all the time in the high school.

On Saturday mornings in the summer my team would meet to go for a run. I left the house and dad was still out cold in the bedroom upstairs. I didn't think he was aware of my practice. I got to the designated meeting place with my team which was Desert Hills Middle school usually. We would decide where to run when we got there. We started and sure enough about 20 minutes into the run dad would drive by with the window rolled down and yell," Amy Blodgett!" He was trying to embarass me. My teammates thought it was hilarious. He would then proceed to drive ahead about 100 meters park on the side of the road and wait for us to pass. I would yell, "go home!" He continued with this routine for awhile. Then he left, probably to go get breakfast.
The only explaination I can come up with, for how he found me every time was that he would've had to have driven down different streets in search of us until he found us.

Another time in the summer, it was about 10 at night and I decided to go for a run. Since it was late and dark dad said he was going to follow me in the car. I ran a route around the rancho reata area and dad continued to pass by and watch over me enjoying the cool summer breeze in the sentra. I was almost to the bottom of reata road when a man emerged from one the streets. He stopped me and said, "there is a car that keeps turning around and following you." I told him that it was my dad. Dad noticed that a strange man was talking to me and as I passed by dad again he said, "who was that freak talking to you?" And I told him it was another man wondering who he was. Dad was protective and always watched out for his kids.

Please share any memories you might have. I enjoy reading them.

Love, Amy

3 comments:

cobrakaidojo said...

thats a good memory amy, thanks for sharing. me and dads relationship was much more complex than yours. i remember one time we were at the parking lot of kamiakin high school, it may have been after one of my basketball games but im not sure. we were in a very heated arguement about something which i cannot recall. i then remember slapping him in the face. he became infuriated. i ran away from him and he tried to run after me but of course could not catch me. we then got in separate vehicles, i in the blue truck and he in his sentra. he then full throttled the sentra toward me as if to ram me with the car. i thought he was going to hit me but he came to an abrubt stop literally inches away from the bumper.he then touched the bumper of the truck and and started revving the engine violently. the truck was moving back and forth in a wave-like motion. after doing that for like 15 seconds, he drove away, and then i left too.

i have literally dozens of similar memories. now i look back at them and find humor in these incidents and i think he would think they were funny too. we knew how to get under each others skins.

jon

cobrakaidojo said...

I remember, "Prisoner--30 minutes," the game where Dad held our arms and we had to try and escape. I remember early on Dad and Mom taking us to the high school track so Dad could exercise. I remember Dad calling me when I was a senior on my exchange trip to France to tell me I'd gotten a scholarship to BYU. He was really excited. I remember Dad wrote poems about me, Janelle and Mike when we were little.

Ryan said...

These are funny stories. I remember one time driving to Utah for Thanksgiving with Dad and Jon. We had the Sentra with the sunroof then. In the middle of Nowhere, ID, late at night, the sunroof snapped off the top of the car and blew away. Dad cranked the heat but, with the air coming into the car, it was like we were outside in the frigid air the rest of the 5-6 hours to Utah. Jon and I wrapped ourselves in the shirts we were wearing and shrank from the cold. I had been unable to sleep because of it. But Dad seemed to be impervious to the cold, wearing a short sleeved shirt and needing to hit himself in the face to stay awake while driving.