Sunday, October 11, 2009

Balloon Fiesta












Mel and I went to the International Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, New Mexico this weekend. As you can see from the pictures, it was an amazing and inspiring sight. For the first time in a long time, I felt like a little kid again. I hope everyone is able to feel the same once in a while. I am particularly proud of the shot I got of the Vader balloon heading towards the rising sun. Also, I was enlisted as a balloon crew member when the winds whipped up. I ran to the aid of one balloon and was instrumental in preventing it from tipping. -Ryan

Mel's commentary: I heard about the balloon fiesta last year and knew I had to go. It was completely worth the six hour drive. All of the spectators get to join the field of hundreds (over 700) balloons and watch them inflate and then litter the sky. We were so close we could have jumped in the baskets. There was one moment where I got separated from the group but instead of looking for them, I just turned and stared up into the sky. I couldn't miss a moment of it. It was amazing. I highly suggest we all take a family vacation there next year. And as you can tell by the photo, Ryan was busy helping the balloon crew but not busy enough to forget about striking a pose.


4 comments:

janellelee said...

this is amazing...what a sight! i was shocked to learn that new mexico was so close to colorado...i thought one of the dakotas was under CO. i am definatly all for going there next year! it looks amazing and beautiful. i will only be afraid one of my wild kids will sneak in a basket and get carried away...awesome pics!!!!!

janellelee said...

its so happy:)

jenbahrens said...

What I liked about this post is Ryan's coy wording about how he saved the balloon from tipping. I can see him saying that in his wry way. That made me laugh. Or maybe he really DID save the balloon from tipping and I'm reading too much coyness and wryness into the wording. In which case, I congratulate you Ryan on your brave act.

My kids would have loved to see this!

Amy said...

Wow that would be a spectacular sight. It would be equally fun to be in one of the hot air balloons and watch all of the others in the sky next to you. What a fun trip.