Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

Today is Father's Day and, while it is sad to not be able to call Dad up and talk, I take comfort in knowing his love for us and knowing that we will again see him and be able to talk again. Father's Day will always be a special day for me because it was the last day that I talked with him. I remember the details of our conversation very well. When he passed away a few days later and I was on a plane to Kennewick, I recorded the details of our conversation as they were still fresh in my mind.


In one part of our conversation, I told him that I loved him and that he was a great Dad and set a great example for me as a husband and future father. He told me that he loved his wife and kids very much and that he was blessed with a great family. Just wanted to make sure that you all heard that from him today.

We talked about several other things and I will include a full transcript of our conversation in a family history piece I am writing. It has almost been a year since Dad passed away and we all miss and love him very much. Though I think of him daily, I am glad to have this Father's Day to remember and celebrate our Dad.

Today in Sacrament Meeting, we sang
O My Father, which is about disconnection and one's plea to be in the presence of our Heavenly Father again. I love how lyrics of the song connect our earthly existence to our heavenly existence and I hope all of you look over the words of that hymn and think about the eternal nature of life and the love of God.
Ryan

4 comments:

janellelee said...

thanks ryan...that was a very wonderful thought. i appreciate your writing it today. i am thankful for your open-ness and your ability to express your feelings and spiritual thoughts. i know that you love your family and i am so thankful that you shared this with us.

janellelee said...

ps-today, michael gave me thomas blodgett's, robert blodgett's, & robert michael blodgett's patriarichal blessings...we will scan them and send you copies if you would want them. i thought that those were really neat/special documents to get:)

Amy said...

Thank you Ryan. That was something I needed to read. I'm grateful for your thoughts they're very comforting. Father's Day will always be special to. I would like a copy of those blessings as well.

Kathy said...

Jen, Janelle, Mike, Ryan, Jon, Amy, Evan and Family

You are all great writers and I do not feel qualified to post here but I want to pay tribute to your wonderful father. He is truly a great patriarch, husband, father and grandfather. But you already know that.

I say "is" because we know that his love and concern for you is eternal. What you may not realize or think about often is that each of you have so much of him in you. You honor him and reflect his goodness in the righteous lives that you lead. He could not love his children more nor be more proud of you. You are outstanding, strong, amazing
people. I am so grateful for the eternal bonds that link us together. I love my sweet sister, wonderful brother-in-law and you, their remarkable children, as well as your families. You are a great example and blessing to me and the entire Boyer family.

Love,
Kathy

P.S. We enjoyed having you with us for Jamyn's wedding and appreciate your efforts to be in Utah that weekend. Thank you for sharing that special day with us. It meant so much!