Saturday, September 13, 2008

Death Penalty

In one of my Criminal Justice classes, we were discussing the death penalty. I know this is kind of a horrifying topic, but I'm honestly curious about what everybody thinks about it. Here are my views: I believe in using the death penalty for those that commit aggravated murder. When I say aggravated murder, I mean not only murder, but additional circumstances that make it worse then shooting someone. For example, when someone tortures another and then murders them, that's aggravated murder. The murdering of a child is definatly a reason that should get a person in the electric chair. I'm sorry if this topic makes anyone uncomfortable but I'm just curious.

I'm not sure how Christlike it is for me to decide who should live and who should die, but I have hard time letting a child rapist/murderer live.

Those against the use of the death penalty argue that it is a violation of our Eighth Amendment of cruel and unusual punishment. I must ask this about the children that are raped and brutally murdered, was that not cruel and unusual for those victims to endure that? Was it not cruel and unusual for those people that suffered the Oklahoma City bombing? I don't think it's cruel and unusual to use lethal injection or the firing squad. That's an easy death compared to what their victims went through. I guess I'm just a natrually vengeful person and I don't care if those terrorists and child murderers are put to death.

That's just what I think. What's your opinion?

Amy

5 comments:

janellelee said...

okay amy, interesting thoughts. i am pro-death...is that an oxymoron? people (men) who are cruel to children should be put to death. but what about the people who have been wrongly convicted? is there anyway to undo that kind of a mistake, where you take an innocent mans life? has anyone seen 'the last man on earth' w/vincent price? it is very reminicant of 'i am legend'. a sickness has taken over the world where people are turning into zombies....he had a pit that was continually burning and whenever he would find a zombie he would kill it and throw it into his fire pit. i think we should have a fire pit annd throw the dredges of society into it and start a new society...a genetically altered society where there is no pain. welcome gatica!

jenbahrens said...

Amy, I am pro death penalty as long as there are honest judges. When there are King Noah-like judges, I wouldn't want the death penalty to be around.

cobrakaidojo said...

Amy,

My experience recently as a juror on a DUI case has caused me to rethink my position on capital punishment. Our system is the best anywhere but it is far from perfect. I viewed firsthand how juries can be arbirtray and unable to render sufficient analysis to a case. We have to be very careful and go the extra mile to ensure that judges (trial and appellate) and juries are fair in their deliberations of a case where the potential is a death sentence. I was not impressed by my jury--we couldn't even decide impartially a simple DUI case.

Dad

Melanie said...

I have had a hard time with the death penalty and deciding where I stand. Of course I think that aggravated murderers are horrible and should get their punishment but are we the ones to decide if they should get killed or not? Do you think the 6th commandment applies in this case? And of course there's the issue that Jen brought up of unfair judges. It's hard to set a precedent because there are so many little factors that go into each case. All I can say is that wouldn't want to be a judge and let that be on my shoulders.

Jonny said...

ideally, the death penalty should be imposed on the those people who committ the worst crimes. it has been shown that the death penalty has deterred crimes in some states. so, having a death penalty may actually reduce the number murders. it is also a matter of justice. what punishment, other than death, is fitting for a child rapist/murderer? in my view, no other punishment would satisfy justice. God has allowed men to set up governments and administer laws and judge each other, we can only pray that we make righteous judgements.