Monday, September 15, 2008

Thoughts on Death Penalty

I thought I'd post my comment on the front page so that it doesn't go unnoticed. I was afraid that I am coming late to the discussion. I think dad's comment gets to the heart of the issue. People are often incapable of detaching themselves from their passions and prejudices.

When a particularly heinous crime is committed, it is natural to want to make someone pay. If someone is placed in front of a crowd by the police, then the crowd is more likely to give the police the benefit of the doubt rather than the defendant. This is supposed to be the other way around. So my stance is that in the event of admission of guilt or irrefutable empirical proof, then a death sentence is deserved. However, if a trial yields anything less then a death sentence is inappropriate.

In all cases, however, higher courts should review sentencing whenever a death sentence is issued. As penalty for losing the Civil War, when any state from the southern U.S. issues a death sentence, a northern state should review the decision. Just kidding. But that is where most of the problems with the death penalty have come up--southern juries finding a black man guilty based on nothing.

Basically, I think it is fine how it works now. Both the death sentence and life imprisonment probably deter some criminal behavior. Society knows that you can't kill people and expect to have a comfortable life afterwards.

Ryan

1 comments:

Amy said...

Everybody has interesting thoughts, thank you for your participation.