Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Loving Admonition to Ron and Ryan

Finally I get a chance to weigh in! I have been swamped with mid-term tests and had not time to give my tid bit. The issues on both sides have been exhausted so I will instead comment on some of the implications of what Ryan and Ron have said. Their comments have opened windows into their souls and I wish to point these observations out so that they can correct their course and build upon a rock. Ron and Ryan have frightingly pessimistic outlooks on what can be done on abortion. Although I feel I have succeeded, to some degree, in pursuading both of them about the importance of cultivating a culture of life in our society, they both have trouble lifting their eyes past the barren wasteland of legal thought and into a more hopeful horizon. Unfortunetely, both have their feet stuck in the muddy trenches of "legal analysis" that they cannot reach loftier goals. They may reply back to me: "well Jon, you have your head stuck in the clouds and are not tuned into reality on this issue." If thats the case I would much rather be in the clouds and have association with the saints of seagulls than be in the dirt with the decadence of society. Ron and Ryan have excepted that Roe V Wade has become the law of the land and that it is time to come to grips with that reality, however, I side with St. Thomas Aquinas when he said, "An unjust law is no law at all." Their is an obligation of every latter-day saint and anyone who hopes to enter the celestial kingdom to do all in their power to overturn unjust laws, especially laws that undermine our most basic rights and the great plan of happiness, namely "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." I pose this question to Ron and Ryan, "is the great plan of happiness worth fighting for?" As with a trumpet I proclaim YES! I leave it to you to decide what more you can do, I trust you can think of many things that are within your power which can be done to reverse this most disturbing trend toward death and misery in our society. Jesus did, Joseph Smith did, and Gordon B. Hinckley did. Before you throw your votes in the trash bucket labled: "Oprah and Barbara Streisand and Bill Maher, please vote here," I hope you will choose a better society of friends and cast your vote where it says: "All those interested in advancing God's plan, please vote here. " I close with an admonishing scripture that I hope you will heed, "I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."

6 comments:

jenbahrens said...

I would retitle this post "A scathing admonition to Ron and Ryan"

Amy said...

Jon, I think you're a little over the top. Maybe take your attack on your brother and brother in law down a notch.

Ryan said...

Finally we hear from Jon. Yes Oprah and Streisand support Obama, but so does Warren Buffet and Marlin K. Jensen.

Also, there was very little, if any, legal analysis in my arguments.

janellelee said...

jon, this was worth re-booting! i think that it is great to be idealistic. i wish i could be more that way!

jenbahrens said...

I don't view this as an attack or a scathing admonition. I like to hear people's point of view. I do think it is a good illustration of my point about how some Latter-day Saints can confuse their politics with their religion, and are prone to march lock-step with the Republican party, however.

Truth be told, adherence to the Republican platform is not a requirement for the celestial kingdom.

It is admirable to crusade against abortion. One might also argue, however, that it admirable to crusade against other things, such as the culture of war, the militarization of society, the increasing divide between the wealthy and the poverty stricken and the lack of educational opporunities. Unfortunately, no one party has a monopoly on all that is good.

Thus, we should be careful to equate a lack of support for our particular candidate or platform as a lack of commitment to the gospel.


RZA

cobrakaidojo said...

I never said or implied in my comments that one should walk lock step with the repulican party, nor did I confuse politics and religion. Further, I never said that adherence to the republican platform was a requirement to enter into the celestial kingdom. I addressed one vital issue, namely that of abortion, which goes to the heart of societies basic rights as outlined by John Locke and Gods plan of happiness.
However, fighting for virtue and correct principles is a requirement to enter into heaven. Anyone who throws his arms in the air and rolls over to the secularization of our society needs to reassess his viewpoints and reflect on the scripture found in the new testement: "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ."

JWB