Thursday, October 2, 2008

Ten reasons why I might vote for Obama (in no particular order):

1. Obama has not relied for economic support on those who inherited money obtained by means of the "evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days." See D&C 89:4. Nor does his running mate have an odd fascination with those who identify themselves as "Joe Six-pack".

2. Obama didn't suspend his campaign for a single day last week -- even when he had other things to worry about.

3. Obama is still married to his first wife. I've heard no stories of unfaithfulness to -- or poor treatment of -- his first wife. I cannot say the same thing for his opponent.

4. In an effort to win the election, McCain has changed some of the positions he held, and embraced groups and ideas that he disavowed, when he ran against George W. Bush eight years ago. (I supported him -- and not GWB -- in the 2000 primary, for what its worth.) I think McCain was blatantly dishonest in his campaign against Mitt Romney. I think McCain has run a very negative campaign in the general election -- one based in part on evident half-truths and obvious misrepresentations -- despite his promise not to do so. Thus, I am not convinced that he is honorable or that I can trust him.

5. His convention had much better live music.

6. "Latter-day Saints as citizens are to seek out and then uphold leaders who will act with integrity and are wise, good, and honest. Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties". First Presidency Letter, September 22, 2008.

7. I make less than $250,000 a year and am, therefore, not sure I need to worry about a tax increase. In any event, I'm not convinced that it’s a bad idea for people who make large sums of money to have to give more back to society.

8. I like the idea of a president who can speak in complete sentences, use proper grammar and display a degree of eloquence in his oratory. I like the idea of a president trained in the law. I like the idea of a president who is a deep-thinker with a well-defined world view. These traits can be found in all of the great presidents like Lincoln, Adams and Jefferson.

9. I'm starting to believe that McCain demonstrated poor decision-making skills -- from both an election and administrative perspective -- by choosing a running mate whose main qualification is being the executive of a jurisdiction with a population the same size as that of Memphis and who seems incapable of providing cogent answers to questions when interviewed. I like the "idea" of Sarah Palin a lot more than I like the actual person I see in the interviews and debates. (On a side note, is anyone surprised by the number of otherwise conservative Mormons who seem to have no problem with the fact that Palin is seeking a very demanding job outside the home, notwithstanding the fact that she still has several young children?)

10. Obama doesn't remind me of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons.

RZA

3 comments:

Ryan said...

To guage the contradictory response of the republican party, imagine this scenario: Say Palin were a member of the democratic party and Obama had selected her to be his running mate. How would the conservative party have responded to Palin?

jenbahrens said...

I, of course, am completely shocked and appalled by Ron's recently revealed political leanings. He has waited for 10 years of marriage to reveal these sympathies. We've talked a lot about Sarah Palin this week and I really like her, but he really does not like her.

jenbahrens said...

BTW, I am troubled by Palin's mothering choices. I don't think there's any way to know what's going on in that home or why she felt that was the right choice for her. But I don't think its ideal for her kids for her to be out of the home so much. No matter how famous or successful she becomes in a worldly sense or what her talents are that she's contributing to the country. The job she has as governor and the job she would have as VP are full-time jobs--more than full-time jobs. Being a Mom is a more than full-time job. I don't see how she can do both well. So if she's doing a great job as governor of Alaska, it is logical to assume that her family has made sacrifices and doesn't get her with them very much. And in the long-term I don't think that's best for her kids. Is this overly judgemental? Maybe.

I would never give up being a Mom full-time while my kids are young!