Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I am officially a domestic diva

This is me:



I thought it would be helpful to post a picture to compare my face with that of Parker Posey. Unfortunately for me, there are many dissimilarities between the two of us. I have a prominent nose inherited from the Blodgett side, a very freckled complexion, and small uneven eyes. I do like my new haircut though.
We have an apple tree in our new yard. It has really good green apples on it. So we decided we'd try to be self-reliant and use the fruit. So Ron picked apples for 3 hours on Monday and Tuesday night.



I talked to Grandma Boyer on the phone for 3 hours (Mom, you were at work today) and she instructed me on the art of canning. She included her own tried and true recipe for apple pie filling. So my friend Jen and I canned 9 quarts of apple pie filling today. It was fun to learn something new and feel a sense of solidarity with my pioneer forebears (or something like that). I recommend canning for anyone who's 1-year-old is napping and who's 4-year-old is watching Veggie Tales. Tomorrow we're going to can applesauce.

The finished product and all my supplies.
My water bath canner purchased off craigslist.com for $10.
Gracie enjoyed a power nap while we canned. And Joseph watched Veggie Tales with his buddy Brigham. We had a good day. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Don't be surprised if you receive canned apples for Christmas! Keep up all the great posts on our blog. It means a lot to me to keep in touch.
Love,
Jen

3 comments:

Amy said...

That's great you took up canning. I wish i could be domestic, I'm not. Jen, you don't give yourself enough credit. You have a beautiful face! I think your freckles are cute, embrace your beauty.

janellelee said...

ya, i agree w/amy...and i do love your haircut! i did NO canning this year. and i feel bad that i have nothing going into winter. you are brave to take it on alone! i will be looking for some canned apples in the mail:)

cobrakaidojo said...

Jen,

You are beautiful

Dad