Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Mitt's a nice guy



Mitt Romney came to my school last Wednesday and Mel and I were sure to be there for it. After his speech and the question and answer session, I was satisfied that he is the best republican candidate. I went to shake his hand and I told him loudly, "You won us over today!" and he let out a hearty politician's laugh. Too bad the party is too bigoted to nominate him. It seems like the republican party leaders in Colorado are backing Romney, or at least the colorado chapter of the republican party leader has voiced his support for Romney. The best thing Romney has going for himself is his financial savvy. Romney's message is the message of fiscal conservatism. No other candidate can compete with him in a financial discussion. He also advocated a clean energy research and technology, which I thought was interesting. Healthcare is an important issue to me, but I haven't been satisfied by anyone's proposal yet or I don't understand a lot of the politicians' solutions. I think its definitely a problem in our country, but I don't have anytime to figure out which solution I would support. School keeps me very busy. Mel and I were just called as ward missionaries and within that assignment we are going to be tutoring a recently baptized Sudanese family how to read and write English so they can pass the immigration test. Apparently, the wife has learned quite a bit but the husband struggles as his native language is sudanese arabic. That's kind of what's going on with us.

4 comments:

Jonny said...

wow, that is awesome, you shook hands with the next president of the united states, yes he will overcome. i dont agree that the party is too bigoted, i believe he will get the nomination and that he will beat hilary.

janellelee said...

i only live in fear of a hilary president. i like mitt...and i am pleased that you tried to single yourself out w/him. that is great that you and mel are ward missionaries. i think that would be a scary calling for me...that and teaching the teenagers are my biggest fears. but good luck teaching english!!

jenbahrens said...

Ryan do you say "bigoted" because of religion? If so, I totally agree. I think the reason most major republican voices haven't embraced Mitt is because they harbor religious prejedices against Mormons.

Ryan said...

yes, i think most republicans carry the same spirit as the missouri mobs of mormon history.