Thursday, September 13, 2007

From Ron: In Defense of an Old Kitchen Table

Kitchen tables are like spouses, religions and memories. Once you find one that is good and true, you should hang on to it at all costs. Rare it is, indeed, to find one that provides nourishment, comfort and something to lean on during the dark times. And, the longer you keep it around, the more you grow to love it.

Not only will a superior table accommodate food and diners, but it must also corral one’s younger children, adjust for the width of one's girth, be adjustable for easy sweeping, fit
perfectly into any kitchen space, be durable enough to handle frequent abuse, and have conveniently located drawers for easy storage. In addition, the table of choice must have an inviting aura and comfortable demeanor so that people want to spend time around it. Add to these single accomplishments attractive vinyl benches and a yellow faux-wood particle board table and you have real treasure. One should not lightly part with such a find.

I’ve been enjoying culinary delights at my kitchen table long before I found a spouse, knew much about religion or had many memories. This table is where I learned to use a fork, knife and pasta spoon. It is where I learned not to slurp my soup, not to sword fight with carving knifes, and that it is inappropriate to dance on the table during dinner. The old table has always been there for me. It was there when I came home from my first days of elementary school, junior high and high school. It was there when I left for my mission and, more importantly, it was there for me when I came home (which is more than I can say for a few others). It was at my wedding reception, and has joined with me in welcoming my children home from the hospital.

It has always been faithful, never wavered. When I have put something on the table, the table has always held it; never dropped it to the floor. No matter how many times milk is spilled on it, it never cries.

Yes, the old table is getting on in years. But, so am I. And, there are lots of things, like spouses, religion and memories, which we don’t trade in just because they show a few signs of age. The passage of time only serves to make us more dependent on -- and more grateful for – them.


So, here's to you, old kitchen table! Please pass the mashed potatoes.

9 comments:

cobrakaidojo said...

Ron,

All we can say is the sky is not blue it is orange. We pray for you Jen.

Dad

Melanie said...

I hate to go against the wise words of my father-in-law but I'm going to have to agree with Ron on this issue. I have always really liked your kitchen table.

janellelee said...

WAIT! i have eaten at that table before...no, not at your house ron, but i believe it was in a Denny's along the I-5 somewhere. Sometimes, perhaps, it is time to let go and look to the future...JUST KIDDING!!!!!

janellelee said...

no, i was wrong about the denny's...go look at the last seconds of johnny's dancing video. it was a chuck-e-cheese

Ryan said...

why intellectually barren? who put that there?

janellelee said...

ron or jen changed it....!

cobrakaidojo said...

an item that brings warm sentiments and memories ought to be put where it belongs: in the attic, along with the scrapbooks and old sneakers! Keeping the table in a prominant position in the house may bring warm and fuzzies to the owners but what value does it hold for honored guests? The only value such a table has is its adequate flat surface the guest can use to destroy the hosts in a game of settlers.

jenbahrens said...

The only thing I don't like about this post is that you used the word "girth" in it. Something about that word just doesn't sit well with me. Although not as emotionally attached to the table as you apparently are, I like its practicality.

the outsider said...

It would behoove us all to remember that material possessions, including tables, are not the keys to happiness. President Hinckely has stated, “Among all the assets you possess nothing is so precious as your children.” I hope Ron’s thoughts for his beloved table have not clouded his feelings and priorities for what is really important.

However, the old pioneer adage may apply to your lovely table, “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.” When the table can no longer fulfill it’s purpose in life, it will be time to part and progress to bigger and better things. Bon appetit!